Credit for Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), previously known as the Student Work Experience Evaluation Program or SWEEP, was implemented at Pikes Peak Community College May 1, 1974. The program objectives are to award credit in three ways: for prior learning through the use of published guides, standardized testing programs, and portfolio assessment. Credit for prior learning is awarded for learning acquired through life and work experiences, correspondence and extension courses, individual study and reading; civic, community, and volunteer work; participation in formal courses, in-service training sponsored by associations, business, government and industry.
The learning must be demonstrable and must have both a theoretical and applied component; it must also be college-level, currently applicable, and be equated to a specific course or courses in the College’s curriculum.
A student at Pikes Peak Community College may receive credit for prior learning only if the learning is evaluated through formal procedures, meets the standards of specific courses at the college and relates to the educational program in which the student is enrolled.
Please Note: A student must have completed a minimum of 6 credit hours at PPCC before CPL credit will be awarded.
- Credit for Prior Learning - Handbook
- Credit for Prior Learning - Portfolio Assessment Form
- Credit for Prior Learning - Published Guide Assessment Form (ACE, DANTES, etc)
Degree Programs Available
- Associate of General Studies
- Criminal Justice - AAS Degree and Certifications
- Criminal Justice AA Degree
- Fire Science Technology
The fees for a portfolio evaluation are as follows:
- One-Time Portfolio Application fee of $40.00 per student
- Course Fees of $15 Per Semester Hour Requested
- Update Fees of $15.00 Per Semester Hour Requested