Determining the appropriate level of academic coursework is mandatory in Colorado; therefore, taking a college skills placement test is required of all
- First-time, degree-seeking undergraduates;
- Non-degree seeking undergraduates who change to degree-seeking status;
- Non-degree seeking first-time undergraduates who have graduated from a Colorado public or private high school (or its equivalent) during the previous academic year;
- Concurrently enrolled high school student.
Students exempted from assessment include those who:
- Have completed college-level transfer mathematics and college-level transfer writing courses or a remedial course (if required) in mathematics, writing, and reading are exempt from assessment;
- Earned a baccalaureate degree;
- Earned a transfer-oriented associate degree (i.e., AA or AS); excludes AGS and AAS graduates; or
- Are pursuing a vocational certificate. (Institutions may be more stringent and require assessment of certificate-seekers).
The PPCC Testing Centers are located in A-117 at Centennial Campus, S-101 at Rampart Range Campus, room S-102 at the Downtown Studio Campus, and room 119 at the Falcon Campus. College skills placement tests may be taken during Testing Center hours on a walk-in basis at any of the campus locations above, as well as Ft. Carson, Bldg. 1117 and Peterson AFB, Bldg. 1141. Test results have no effect on acceptance to PPCC. College skills placement test scores will be available a few minutes after the tests are completed so that students can take them to the Career Planning and Advising Center for assistance in selecting classes.
Since placement into basic skills instruction is now mandatory in Colorado, the placement test is very important. We advise students to review English, math, and reading with materials available in the Library and the Testing Center before taking the test. Please read the directions carefully and do your very best work when taking the test.
All new students entering the English Language Institute (ELI) must take a placement test. This test will place new students into one of three levels; basic, intermediate, or advanced. The test is available on computer at all campuses. ELI students should call 719-502-3535 for further information.
Accommodations are available for students with documented disabilities.
There is a fee to retake any section of the placement test. You must have a valid photo ID to test. Testing hours are Monday and Tuesday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
If you do not place into a class, you can retake the placement test (fee required). A list of websites is available at any Testing Center. You may also choose to go to the Learning Assistance Center at Centennial Campus or the Library at either The Downtown Studio or Rampart Range Campus to prepare for the test.
Please call any of the Testing Centers for additional information: Centennial Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3370; Rampart Range Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3380; Downtown Studio Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3390; or Falcon Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3817.