Airman Inspecting Weapon Load
(photo courtesy USAF)

Active Duty Air Force Stationed in Colorado

These instructions are for active duty Air Force service members who are permanently assigned to a military installation in Colorado Springs (Peterson Complex or United States Air Force Academy) and their dependent family members.  Please follow these instructions carefully. If you are not assigned within Colorado Springs or have any questions, please contact the Pikes Peak Community College (PPCC) Peterson AFB office at (719) 502-4300 or at

To review the current PPCC College catalog.  If you have previously taken classes with PPCC, you can skip to course registration.

Becoming a Student

Step 1: Advising

Contact the Peterson AFB Education Center at or the USAFA Education Center at to meet with an Air Force Guidance Counselor to plan your Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) degree or for general education information.  Be sure that you understand your degree plan and what tuition charges and fees the Air Force will approve and support with military Tuition Assistance (TA) dollars.  If you are interested in a PPCC associate’s degree, please contact the Peterson PPCC office at (719) 502-4300 to make an appointment with the PPCC academic advisor or send an email to

Step 2: Apply

Apply to PPCC before you request TA through the Air Force Portal.  It’s simple and it’s free!  Complete an online application.  This process takes about 24- to 48-hours for review and approval.

Step 3: Take the Placement Test

This is a Colorado state requirement and is one test that everybody aces. The Accuplacer placement test is available at the Fort Carson and Peterson AFB PPCC offices.  For placement test information at those locations, please click here.  Additionally, placement testing is available at the PPCC main campuses.  For placement test information at those locations, please click here.  You can also contact the military offices to request online study guides to assist in preparing for the placement test.

Step 4: Credit for Military Service

To learn how your military service may apply to a PPCC Associates Degree, please choose 
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).  You can request your CCAF transcript be sent directly to PPCC for evaluation and possible degree credit.  If you have any questions concerning this process, please send an email to  

Step 5: Transfer Courses

You may already be well on the way to getting a degree from PPCC!  You should tell the DMVP advisor of any college-level courses that you have already successfully completed from an accredited college or university. Additionally, you should request an official transcript be sent from your former college(s) to PPCC at:

Pikes Peak Community College
Campus Box 8
5675 South Academy Blvd.
Colorado Springs, CO 80906

We can accept hand-carried transcripts only if they are in their original, sealed envelopes from the granting college/university. Order a CCAF Transcript .

Step 6: In-State Residency 

Active duty service members and their family members who are not Colorado residents but are permanently assigned (PCS) to a Colorado military installation must  complete a Military In-State Residency Form.  This form is available at all PPCC enrollment centers to include the PPCC Military Programs Office located at their servicing military education center.  Submission of this form is required in order for the military student to receive Colorado in-state tuition.  The form must be submitted to PPCC prior to the published drop (or census) date of the semester/term in which they are enrolled.  The student will be eligible for the in-state tuition rate for the time period in which their military ID card is valid.  When a new ID card is issued the student must re-submit the form to continuously receive the in-state tuition rate.  If this form is not on file at PPCC, the student will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate.  Service members who are TDY or deployed from a Colorado military installation should send an email to requesting submission instructions of the Military In-State Residency Form.

Step 7: Apply for the College Opportunity Fund (COF)

Military members permanently assigned (PCS) to an installation in Colorado and their dependents must register for the College Opportunity Fund (COF). You only need to register once, but if you don’t, you will be personally responsible for paying the tuition portion that COF would have paid. Remember, you must always authorize the use of your COF funds for your classes each semester/term when you register.  Military TA will not pay the COF amount of the tuition bill.  To register for COF, please complete the application form here.  If you have any questions about COF registration, please send us an email at

Military members not on PCS orders to Colorado and their family members are not eligible to receive the Military In-State Residency form.  As a result, they will be charged the non-resident tuition rate.

Step 8: Register for Classes

Check out the latest class offerings by reviewing the current class schedule.  If you need assistance, send us an e-mail at or come to the Peterson AFB Education Center, room 112 to register for the class(es) you are interested in.

Note: To be eligible to receive TA, you must attend a TA briefing held at your servicing education center.  TA cannot be requested earlier than 45-days prior to the class start date.  Because PPCC has numerous class start dates be sure you are aware of the start date for your particular class.  Otherwise your requested TA will not be approved.  You cannot apply for TA less than 7-days prior to your class start date.  Keep in mind that your immediate supervisor must now approve your TA.  Ensure that your supervisor is aware that you have requested TA.  Your supervisor will then be ready to approve your request.  To apply for TA, click here.  Register with PPCC first to ensure you have a seat in the class(es) you want and are eligible to take.  If you decide not to take the class, be sure to contact PPCC to drop the course prior to the published drop or census date.  You must also contact your servicing education center staff so your TA will be de-obligated.  If you fail to do so you could be held responsible for paying all associated tuition and fees.

Step 9: Books and Course Materials

You can order your books and materials through the on-line PPCC Bookstore.  Of course you can visit any one of the campus bookstores to purchase textbooks, course materials and the latest outerwear and PPCC accessories.

Step 10: Apply for Financial Aid

To request Tuition Assistance after attending a TA briefing at the PAFB Education Center, click here.  Besides military TA, you might be eligible for financial aid to defray some of the costs not covered by  TA.  Getting help is easier than you think. The earlier you submit your financial aid application the better your chances to be considered for all available sources of financial assistance. Apply online at

Step 11: Changing Your Schedule

Classes can be added, changed, or dropped only up until the last day of registration. If you need to add, change or drop a class,  do so on or before the drop (census) in the PPCC Portal. Make sure to also contact your servicing education center staff so your TA will be de-obligated.  Once the semester/term begins and the drop period passes, classes cannot be changed.

Step 12: Withdraw After a Class Has Begun

If a class cannot be completed due to military reasons (duty, deployment, etc.) your servicing education center staff must be notified or you will be held responsible for paying the TA dollars. Be sure to also comply with the PPCC published withdraw deadlines.  If you need to drop or withdraw from a class, log into the PPCC Portal, click the "Add or Drop Classes" link found under the Student tab, in the Registration Tools channel.  PPCC rules regarding drop and withdraw deadlines, grades, fees, and appeal and waiver requirements by reviewing the current PPCC college catalog.

General Education Mobile (GEM)

The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) has partnered with civilian academic institutions to form the General Education Mobile or GEM Program.  Through GEM airmen can register for classes that are delivered via the online classroom thus providing anytime, anywhere course availability.  This type of delivery system can also decrease the affects that deployments, TDYs, changing work schedules and family activities may have on completing your education goal.  The GEM Program is designed to help airmen complete the 15-hour CCAF General Education Course requirement with the same academic institution thus providing education continuity and quicker course completion.

More information on this exciting partnership program.

GEM icon

Beyond the Associates Degree

Pikes Peak Community College classes are easily transferable to other community colleges as well as four year institutions across the country.  The challenges of military duty, family activities and a busy life style in general do not make it easy to attend a classroom.  That's when the PPCC Degrees at Ease Online Campus becomes an excellent option for continuing or completing an associates degree.  If you have Internet access, then this program is for you.  This degree option makes it easy for you to achieve your educational goal in quick time.  How does the Degrees at Ease Online Campus work?  To get that information and to find degree transfer options beyond the associates degree program, please choose Degrees at Ease Online Campus.