Types of Grants

To learn more about the different types of grants available, click on the appropriate tab.

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be paid back. It is the Federal government's largest student aid program and is the starting point for most students seeking financial assistance. Pell awards range from $200 to $5,550 for the academic year.

A student must enroll in a minimum of one credit hour each term to receive a Federal Pell Grant at PPCC.  The grant can be awarded retroactively to students throughout the year provided the student is currently enrolled and has been enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program. Students who have received a bachelor's degree are not eligible.

Every student that is Pell eligible is awarded 100% of their grant for two (2) semesters; for instance fall and spring. If they attend full time for both terms, they will have used 100% of their grant. If they do not use 100% of their Pell for fall and spring, there will be a certain percentage left over for summer.

The duration of eligibility for the Pell grant was reduced from 18 full-time semesters to 12 full-time semesters - which is equivalent to six (6) years. There is no grandfathering of this new law, so your time frame may have already begun if you have ever been a Pell Grant recipient. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is equal to 100%; the six-year equivalent is 600%. Therefore, once you have reached 600%, you will never be eligible for Pell no matter what school you attend. Be sure to take classes that apply to your program of study!

Colorado Student Grant (CSG)

This grant is available to students who are Colorado residents, demonstrate financial need as indicated below, and are enrolled in six or more credit hours. Students who have received a bachelor's degree are not eligible. To ensure that state need-based dollars are directed to eligible Colorado resident students who have the least ability to pay for their education, CDHE policy defines three funding levels. Using Expected Family Contribution, the institution will award need-based dollars to Level 1 applicants. Level 2 applicants will be considered after meeting the need of Level 1 applicants. Reasonable administrative practices, such as application deadlines, are recognized as realistic and appropriate.   

  • Level 1 - Students with the Least Ability to Pay
    Students with an Expected Family Contribution EFC between zero and 150% of that required for a Pell Grant. The minimum undergraduate award (Fall - Spring) for this category of students is $850 or the maximum amount of unmet need, whichever is less. The maximum award is $5,000.
  •  Level 2 - Students with Documented Need and Moderate Ability to Pay
    Students with an EFC between zero and 150%, and 200% of that required for the minimum Pell grant award. Maximum award (Fall - Spring) for this category of students is $2,500 or the maximum amount of unmet need, whichever is less.
  • Level 3 - Students with Documented Need and Average Ability to Pay
    All other students who demonstrate a financial need, as calculated by the federal methodology, may be awarded a maximum of $500.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunities Grant (FSEOG)

This grant ranges from $100 up to $4,400 per academic year at PPCC and is available to students with exceptional financial need who are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours to be awarded this grant. Students who complete the FAFSA and have a complete financial aid file will be automatically considered for this grant. The key is to apply early! Students who have received a bachelor's degree are not eligible. Also, at PPCC, you must be eligible for Pell to receive the FSEOG, therefore students that have maxed out their eligibility of Pell with 600% or more used will not be eligible for FSEOG either. 

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

An otherwise-Pell eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of U.S. military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may receive increased amounts of Federal Student Aid if the student was less than 24 years old when the parent or guardian died, or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent or guardian's death. If students are Pell eligible, they will receive full Pell.  If they are not Pell eligible, the student will receive the IASG.