As the largest cultural organization at Pikes Peak Community College, the Multicultural Student Union (MSU) serves a large percentage of the multicultural student population on all four campuses.
The MSU's mission is threefold: to unify the diverse community, to educate PPCC's campus about the history of our diverse population and their culture, and to serve the community outside of PPCC's campuses. We accomplish these goals in many ways.
Here are some examples of the great initiatives and opportunities MSU provides to the community and to participants:
- Volunteer experience with the Marion House Soup Kitchen, The Salvation Army, and other organizations offering service to our community.
- Participation in many social events, such as annual trips to Aspen for leadership and exposure to etiquette training, not to mention some skiing as well!
- Continuing participation in the annual Big XII Conferences for the past 5 years. This conference is a three-day leadership conference sponsored by the Black Student Government.
- Student Ambassadors that have spoken at the Black Chamber of Commerce as well as multiple schools and community organizations.
- Academic support and career preparation assistance provided to MSU participants to help them achieve their goals.
Through these initiatives, we aim to equip our members with the tools necessary for success in all facets of PPCC life and beyond.
For the fall 2011 semester, the meeting times are as follows:
Room B-232 from 11 am – 12 pm Tuesdays:
- September 13 & 27
- October 11 & 25
- November 8 & 22
- December 6
Room A-259 from 1 – 2 pm Wednesdays:
- September 14 & 28
- October 12 & 26
- November 9 & 23
- December 7
MSU Officers and Faculty Advisors
The current officers and faculty advisors of the MSU are as follows:
President: Michale Squires
Vice President: Renee Greene
Secretary: Debbie Pantoja
Treasurers: Kendra Moore and Blake Jackson
Social Directors: Daniel Rivera and Brittany Gutierrez
Main Advisor: Eddie Hughes, Multicultural Affairs Coordinator
Advisor I: Sandy Ho, Learning Assistance Coordinator
Advisor II: Jay Yeakley, English Instructor
For further information, contact Sonya Eckenroth at Sonya.Eckenroth@ppcc.edu.