Placement for Academic Coursework

In Colorado you must meet the academic prerequisites to enroll directly into college-level Math and English courses. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, are transferring from another college, or are going to college for the first time, understanding your academic history will help us place you into the right classes so you can be successful at PPCC.

If you are a recent high school graduate, have qualifying scores or have prior college experience, you can show that you are college -ready and meet the prerequisites to enroll into college level Math and English courses by having one of the following exemptions:

  • Have qualifying ACT or SAT scores (with-in 5 years,) ACT (English 18+, Reading 17+, Math 19-23) SAT (Verbal 440+, Math 460+).
  • Have qualifying ACCUPLACER scores(with-in 5 years) (RC 80+, SS 95+), Math( EA 61+ for CTE math, EA 85+ QL math and EA 100+ for AL math)
  • Have recently (with-in the last two years) graduated from High School with a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher(un-weighted), completed your Junior year English with a "B" or better (with-in the last 24 months), completed Algebra II (If pursuing an Career Technical or Quantitative Literacy pathway) OR Pre-Calculus (if pursuing an Algebraic pathway) with a "B" or better (within the last 18 months)
  • Have an Associates of Arts (AA) or Associates of Science (AS) or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university.(excluding AGS or AAS degrees)  Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
  • Earned a C or better in college level Math and/or English at a regionally accredited college or university.  Unofficial transcripts are accepted..

If you have AP, IB, CLEP, DSST, UXCEL credits, please submit them and any official transcript/score reports to Admissions and Records for evaluation.

Concurrent enrolled High School Students-  If you are a high school/concurrent enrollment student and you need to take a placement test please contact High School Programs office for important information.(Do NOT use the options below)

eLearning students who are new to PPCC may have to take placement tests before enrolling in classes. Testing can be completed at community colleges and other educational institutions around the country.

Complete one of the following options before meeting with an Academic Advisor and registering for classes.

Placement Options

1) Submit transcripts or test scores

If you meet one or more of the exemptions above, there are a number of ways to submit your supporting documentation (unofficial transcripts are ok for this purpose).  The easiest way is to use the link below to upload your documents. You may also bring your supporting documentation into any testing center or you may scan and email them to this email address: Please allow 72 hrs for the documentation to be processed and the exemption applied.

Submit your transcripts or test scores

2) Take the Placement Assessment

If you do not have any of the exemptions listed above, you may take the Community College Placement Test (CCPT) assessment to see how prepared you are for college-level classes. It is designed to only be taken once. We advise students to review English, Math, and Reading with materials available in the Library before taking the test. A list of websites is also available at any Testing Center and our webpage. You may also choose to go to the Learning Assistance Center at Centennial Campus or the Library at either The Downtown Studio or Rampart Range Campus to prepare for the test. Please prepare and do your very best work when taking the test. It is preferred that you call and schedule an appointment to test. We have a limited walk-in but you may have to wait without an appointment. Scheduling an appointment assures you will be able to test when you come in.

  Fill out the Assessment questionnaire

3) Opt-out of Placement Assessment

If you do not meet any of the criteria above to show you meet the prerequisites to enroll directly into college level coursework and you do not wish to take a placement assessment, you may choose to opt-out of the CCPT.

Opting out of placement assessment means that you would start in preparatory Math and preparatory English classes.

We recommend meeting with an Academic Advisor to discuss the pros and cons of opting out of placement assessment as it could prolong the time it takes to earn a degree.

Verify that you wish to opt-out of placement assessment


Depending on individual situation and preference you may utilize any of the three options above for placement purposes. For example, you may place into college level English based on transcript records, but may choose to take the Math placement assessment test to determine Math placement.