Interpreter Request Form
For students, faculty, staff, and/or community members looking to request Interpreting Services for class, training, or PPCC events.
Information on "no show" and responsibilities can be found within the Interpreter Services Rights & Responsibilities section below.
Important! If you are a student requesting interpreters for your courses, please contact Accessibility Services at 719-502-3333 or at email@example.com
Interpreter Services Rights & Responsibilities
- Students are encouraged to meet with their instructors before classes to discuss the use of the interpreter and the individual student’s specific accommodations.
- Students are responsible for all information presented in class. The interpreter is not responsible for retaining or repeating information the student missed.
- Students are encouraged to work with their instructors to obtain volunteer note takers in class. The interpreter cannot take notes, even if paired with another interpreter for the class.
- The student is responsible for informing Accessibility Services and the Interpreter Coordinator of any changes in a regularly scheduled assignment.
- The interpreter is there to serve the class… instructor, the Deaf student and the other students.
- The interpreter’s role is to facilitate communication between the Deaf student and the hearing persons in his/her educational environment. Interpreter services are provided to make the Deaf student equal, not more than equal, to his or her hearing peers. The student will be allowed to succeed or fail on his or her own, without the interference of the interpreter.
- The interpreter cannot participate in class.
- The interpreter cannot answer student’s questions.
- If the student has a question, he or she should raise his or her hand. The interpreter will voice if requested.
- Students should not socialize with interpreters while they are on the job.
- Interpreters will keep all information confidential.
- If the student talks with other students during class, the interpreter may voice the conversation.
- PPCC is not responsible for any interpreter services other than those approved by Accessibility Services and the Interpreter Coordinator.
Students using interpreter services should notify the Interpreter Coordinator at least 24 hours in advance if they will not be in class. If a student misses class three times without 24 hours advance notification, the student must meet with the Interpreter Coordinator to continue to receive services. Interpreters will wait up to 20 minutes for an hour long class. If the student has not shown up after the waiting time has elapsed, the interpreter will leave. If the interpreter does not show up for class, the student should contact the Interpreter Coordinator. A replacement will be sent if one is available.