Pikes Peak Community College offers a rigorous college curriculum. Many learning strategies may be helpful for all students.
The following strategies may be helpful for all students:
- Attend every class so to not miss important lecture information.
- Take notes during class and/or utilize note accommodations.
- When taking notes, rewrite them in your own words and in a way that makes the most sense to you.
- Try teaching what you learn to someone else.
- Practice what you learn; make it relevant to something you already know.
- Organize your assignment due dates and quiz/test dates into a schedule or planner so you can keep track of them.
- Create a study schedule mapping out what subjects you will study, when, and for how long.
- Look up online resources for extra information about the subjects you are studying.
- Communicate with your instructors. If something is not clear, ask for additional help. Utilize your instructors' office hours.
- As soon as you think you might need help, go get help. Do not wait until you definitely need help.
- Ask questions in class. Do not be afraid of looking foolish. Nine times out of ten, someone else in the room has the same question and is also too afraid to ask.
- Take study breaks to recharge.
- Eat healthy snacks and get fresh air and exercise, or find a creative outlet that helps you feel refreshed.
- Avoid overwhelming yourself with work, school, and other responsibilities. Managing your energy is just as important as managing your time.
- Practice good sleep hygiene.
- Stop looking at electronics an hour before bed. Try to maintain a constant sleep and wake routine.