Why choose chemistry at PPCC?
At Pikes Peak Community College, an affordable degree with designation in chemistry can prepare you for guaranteed transfer to any state school. Take advantage of the small class sizes, modern lab facilities and excellent instructors, and start building your foundational knowledge in chemistry.
What will I study?
In chemistry students will learn how to think not what to think. As a student takes part in the chemistry courses at PPCC, they will be exposed to the facts and philosophy of chemistry and science, which will prepare them to think critically in a scientific way in any situation.
- Understand the basis of chemistry, which is defined as the study of matter and the changes it undergoes.
- Learn the composition, structure, and characteristics of matter and the way in which it changes both physically and chemically.
- Use the laboratory to explore chemistry, which is an experimental science.
- Perform experiments that lead to a better understanding of the physical world.
- Learn to observe the world around them from a different perspective, draw conclusions based upon their observations, and keep accurate records of their observations.
In chemistry at PPCC our goal is for the student to completely prepare for transfer to a four-year university or college, by providing them with a solid background in the first two years of chemistry instruction.
Example Classes I Might Take
Career OptionsA Chemistry degree will prepare you for almost any science career. Careers for Chemists include:
- Nuclear Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Lab Analyst
- Chemical Engineer