Why Choose Art at PPCC?
The PPCC Art Department has dedicated faculty who help students learn and apply creativity as they work on concept development, technical mastery, critical analysis and originality. PPCC’s art students exhibit their artwork at the college and professional venues, as well as interact with fellow artists and students from throughout the state.
What will I study?
As a PPCC art student, you will have the opportunity to learn more about:
- 2-D Visual art forms such as drawing, figure drawing, concepts of 2-D design, color theory, painting, print making and photography.
- 3-D Visual art forms such as concepts of 3-D design, ceramics, sculpture, jewelry and glass arts.
- Art history: Ancient to Medieval, Renaissance to Modern and 1900-Present.
Example Classes I Might Take
Art is a widely applicable concept that reaches into many career fields. As an art major you create a place for yourself in many industries, such as:
- Product Design
- Studio Artist
- Museum and Gallery Curation
Art is a technique of communication. The image is the most complete technique of all communication.
— Claes Oldenburg
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Art program, students should be able to:
- Accurately place a piece of art within its proper context in time and significance
- Write an MLA formatted scholarly research paper and discuss various artistic trends and periods
- Analyze various media, techniques, and individual artists both traditional and contemporary
- Adequately utilize media such as paint, clay, and pencils
- Produce artwork that follows standards and guidelines
- Identify and describe the Visual Elements and Principles of Design