Why choose English at PPCC?
When studying English at PPCC, you not only learn how to communicate well in writing, but also learn the art of effective argument, critical thinking and reasoning. Our English students also become adept at various types of visual communication from text messaging to blogging to website design. The English Department is part of the Division of Mathematics and English.
What do PPCC English students study?
As a PPCC English student, you will learn about the power of the English language through three emphasis areas: creative writing, literature and journalism. Within these areas you will:
- Hone writing and critical thinking skills
- Construct persuasive arguments
- Conduct various types of research
- Explore the language of imagination through creative genres
- Develop your unique style of writing
- Read and interpret various types of literature
- Study mass media and reporting
- Interview, research and write feature pieces
- Learn literary techniques that can be incorporated into writing
- Compose proposals, technical documents, and procedural documents
You will learn how reading critically and writing are powerful communication tools.
PPCC has a student run journal called Parley.
Each year students publish printed and online stories and essays through this publication.
Contact Sarah McMahon via phone at 719-502-3037, email her for more information about Parley, or submit your works below:
What are graduates doing now?
PPCC English alumni are working as teachers, writers, technical writers, journalists, editors, and also have careers in publishing and business. Students who have studied English at PPCC have gone on to complete Bachelor's, Master's, and Master of Fine Arts degrees.
PPCC Graduate, Teacher
"What I enjoyed most about PPCC is that the instructors genuinely care about their students. I originally enrolled at PPCC with the hopes of pursuing a business degree; however, after the guidance and encouragement from the English department, I switched my focus to English. The faculty is amazing and very passionate about what they teach."