Why Choose Geography at PPCC?
Geography impacts every facet of our daily lives. Students studying geography at PPCC have the opportunity to explore a number of fascinating and varied topics with instructors who have worked in the field, traveled abroad and conducted research.
What will I study?
As a PPCC geography student, you will explore the earth’s surface features and climate, how humans are distributed and the ways in which humans interact with their environment. The program also delves into all aspects of the physical and cultural landscape, and seeks to answer questions such as:
- How did the various mountain ranges form?
- What factors make natural disasters particularly destructive?
- Is climate change human-caused?
- How do historical ethnic conflicts relate to geography?
- Where is the link between fires and increased flood risks?
- Which foods have the least impact on the environment?
- How do religious beliefs and political systems relate to geography?
Example Classes I Might Take
With an academic background in geography, students can pursue careers in natural resource conservation, cartography, planning, historic preservation, geology, meteorology, disaster preparedness, climate change, teaching and many others.