Why Choose Water Quality Management at PPCC?
Water quality is becoming an even more important topic for cities and towns in the United States and countries throughout the world. PPCC students in water quality management will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of this expanding field. The curriculum combines science and math foundations, water and wastewater treatment techniques, field experiences and group projects.
What will I study?
Water quality management presents students an in depth understanding of the distribution, collection and treatment of water and wastewater. By pursuing a Water Quality Management degree, you will:
- Learn about the science and math of water treatment
- Develop an understanding wastewater collection systems
- Study the importance safety and security systems
- Learn the water cycle for human use and consumption
Water quality management incorporates classroom, field experiences and group projects to help students prepare for work in water and wastewater treatment facilities.
Program Learning Objectives
· Perform mathematical calculations specific to the water quality industry.
· Explain the importance of safety practices in the water and wastewater industry
· Describe the fundamental business practices utilized in managing water or wastewater utilities
· Discuss drinking water regulatory requirements and their implementation.
· Define specific terms associated with water quality management
· Prepare, analyze, interpret and report results of water sample testing
· Apply principles of hydraulics and equipment maintenance to wastewater management practices.
· Effectively communicate current events and advances in the water quality industry.
· Define and describe the types, functions, layout of and equipment used in water management facilities (water distribution, water collection, wastewater treatment)
Example Classes I Might Take
A degree in water quality management provides graduates with the opportunity to work in water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Facilities Mechanic
- Process Technician
- Instrument Technician
- Water Quality Analyst Laboratory Technician
- Pump Station Operator