"We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads are equal in value no matter what their color.” - Maya Angelou
Featured DEI Awards and Recognition for PPCC during the 2018-2019 Acadamic Year
- Pikes Peak Community College received the 2018 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine in September 2018. PPCC is the only college in the Pikes Peak Region, one of four colleges in the state and one of only five community colleges in the nation to receive this award.
- Jacquelyn Gaiters-Jordan, PPCC’s Dean of Math and English, was recognized with the Colorado Association for Developmental Education’s Lifetime Achievement Award in October 2018.
- Pikes Peak Community College was ranked as The Military Times’ "Best for Vets: Colleges 2019" in October 2018 making PPCC one of only two community colleges in the state to receive this honor. PPCC now ranks ninth in the nation among two-year colleges.
- Pikes Peak Community College was awarded the 2019-2020 Military Friendly® Schools bronze distinction in February 2019. The bronze distinction is for colleges with exceptional military and veteran programs.
- The Colorado Springs Business Journal recongized Terrell Brown, a PPCC Multicultural Students Success Coach, as a Rising Star in March 2019.
- Pikes Peak Community College was awarded the Colorado Springs Pikes Peak Diversity Council "Raising the Bar" Award during the Southeast Business Plan competition and the Diversity Council’s Diversity in Business Awards in April 2019.
- Dr. Regina Lewis, PPCC's Chair, Communication Department and Special Assistant to the President for Academic Excellence and Inclusion, receivied the Colorado Springs Pikes Peak Diversity Council "Legacy" Award during the Southeast Business Plan competition and the Diversity Council’s Diversity in Business Awards in April 2019.
2017 PPCC DEI Award Recipients:
Student of the Year - Nzallah Whong, Global Village Facilitator
Staff Member of the Year - Kristina Charfauros, Administrative Assistant & Events Coordinator, Student Life
DEI Faculty of the Year - Katherine Sturdevant, Professor, History
2018 PPCC DEI Award Recipients:
Student of the Year - Dulce Estrada Gomez (PPCC Student)
Staff Member of the Year - Konrad Schlarbaum,
Coordinator of Sustainability, Student Life
Faculty of the Year - Sarah Shaver, Theater Faculty
Outstanding Community Leader Award -
Alana Mitchell (PPCC Student)
Distinguished Service Award - Dr. Regina Lewis,
Chair and Professor, Communication Department
2019 PPCC DEI Award Recipients:
- Student of the Year - Chelsea Barrett, Black Student Union President
- Staff Member of the Year - Michael Reyes, Federal TRiO Student Support Services Transition Specialist
- Faculty of the Year - Dr. Dennis Natali, Business Professor
- Outstanding Community Leader Award - The Honorable Regina Walter, Retired Colorado Fourth Judicial District Judge and founder of both the Educating Children of Color Summit and Diversity University
Distiguished Service Awards -
- Ron Stallworth, aka the BlakKklansman, PPCC Alumnus, retired law enforcement officer and author of the book, "Black Klansman: Race, Hate, and the Undercover Investigation of a Lifetime (2014)"
- Joe Garcia, Esq., past PPCC President and current Colorado Community College System Chancellor
- Dr. Lance Bolton, current PPCC President
- Rieko McAdams, retiring Japanese Professor
- Donnettee Patterson, retiring American Sign Language Faculty
- Carol Van Lew, first woman staff member amongst the men who founded PPCC (president’s exec secretary)
- Sandra Cheowa Mokine, Native American retired COM faculty and one of two known surviving leaders of the 1980s PPCC Minority Coalition
- Willie Straws, African American retired Special Projects Coordinator, and one of two known surviving leaders of the 1980s PPCC Minority Coalition