Combine classwork with real-world experiences and increase your understanding of yourself
Students Who Serve...
- Rethink how they learn and why they value their education
- Become involved in their communities by helping to identify and solve problems
- Learn about our increasingly varied and changing world
- Develop resourcefulness, a stronger inner self, and a clearer sense of personal identity
- Become active learners rather than passive learners
- Understand unique cultures and the people within them
- Build closer connections between their campus and environment
- Are more likely to succeed in their future careers
- Gain significant real-life experience
- Increase team-building skills by serving with other students and community members
What is Community Engagement?
Community engagement describes the collaboration between institutions of higher education and their larger communities - local, regional, state, national, global - for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources in a context of partnership and reciprocity.
"The purpose of community engagement is the partnership of college and university knowledge and resources with those of the public and private sectors to enrich scholarship, research, and creative activity; enhance curriculum, teaching, and learning; prepare educated, engaged citizens; strengthen democratic values and civic responsibility; address critical societal issues; and contribute to the public good."
- Carnegie Elective Community Engagement Classification 2015
"There is no better exercise for your heart, than reaching down and helping to lift someone up."
– Bernard Meltzer