Tips to Stay in Compliance With Your Visa

Keep a 2.0 or higher grade point average

If your grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation. If you don’t earn at least a 2.0 the following semester, you will lose your F-1 student status. If you have difficulties with your classes, please come and talk to me. I am here to help!  There are many resources available to help you succeed as an international student.

Avoid missing classes

If you must be absent from a class, please contact the class instructor to let him/her know that you are sick, etc., and arrange to make up anything you missed.  If you have a pattern of missing classes regularly, you may be in violation of the terms of your F-1 visa. You may not stop attending classes or you will lose your status as an F-1 visa student.

Don’t work off campus

You are not allowed to work off campus while you are studying in the USA on an F-1 visa, unless you have been approved by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Career Practical Training (CPT). If you would like to work on campus, you must contact your international school official, and you may not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. On campus jobs at PPCC are not easy to find so please do not assume you can work while studying at PPCC.


If you plan to travel outside the USA for any reason, contact your international school official to get your I-20 signed


Do not use marijuana

Although marijuana is legal in the state of Colorado, the US federal government did NOT legalize it. Since marijuana is not legal at the federal level, it is our recommendation that you not jeopardize your visa status by using marijuana. If caught using it, you may be in violation of your visa.


Communicate with your assigned international school official regularly

If your address, telephone number or e-mail address changes, please let me know right away. Also, please tell me if you are ready to graduate, if you will be leaving PPCC for any reason, or if you plan to transfer to another school.