Creating Better Roadmaps
When you work in an institution as complex as a community college, it's easy to get mired in the day to day. The urgent always shines brightly for our attention. But it's important, every once in a while, to take a big step back and look at your institution holistically.
At Pikes Peak Community College, we create a new strategic plan every five years. Keeping in mind our central vision, dedicating ourselves first and foremost to student success, we look at the evolving landscapes in education and the workforce to create new roadmaps with goals and tactics of how best to achieve that success.
We draft these plans to closely aligned with the strategic plans of the Colorado Community College System, which governs Pikes Peak and 12 other Colorado community colleges.
The strategic plan process has proved almost as valuable as the results. The value of inclusion drives us to reach far beyond our college leadership team, forming Strategic Planning Task Forces comprised of students, staff, faculty and members of our community. The Task Forces conduct environmental assessments by reviewing internal and external data as well as stakeholder surveys. Once the environmental assessment is complete, the Task Forces draft strategic goals and major objectives; then, units across the College develop their ideas for possible tactics and measurements.
Implementation of our strategic plans has already led to many successes, including higher retention and graduation rates, more funds for scholarships, and a closer alignment between the college and the regional workforce. We welcome anybody who shares in our commitment to student success to join these efforts.
Students succeed at PPCC
Our mission is to provide high quality, educational opportunities accessible to all, with a focus on student success and community needs, including:
- occupational programs for youth and adults in career and technical fields,
- two-year transfer educational programs to qualify students for admission to the junior year at other colleges and universities, and
- a broad range of personal, career, and technical education for adults.
We value a community built on learning, mutual respect, and diversity.
You can find our state system's mission statement here.
We Demonstrate These Values in the Following Ways:
- Teaching and Learning: Our primary commitment is to student learning, success, and achievement, while promoting open and universal access to an affordable education and affirming the importance of our facilities and learning environments.
- Mutual Respect and Accountability: Because people are our greatest resource, we foster a culture rooted in civility, mutual trust, and support, and hold ourselves accountable for our decisions and actions.
- Community and Diversity: We engage and support our community while embracing diversity, as it enriches lives and educational experiences.