PPCC Sustainability believes in the power of education and the positive impacts that result from student engagement. This frame of thought drives the core principles of the Office, with a large focus on educational programs, along side community and infrastructure projects.
Learning about sustainability can...
- Save you money, improve your wellbeing, and sustain the environment all at the same time.
- Improve critical thinking and problem solving skills, which are highly desirable when job hunting.
- Compliment all academic and vocational programs at PPCC.
- Satisfy new UCCS transferring standards set forth in the Compass Curriculum Program.
We plan events throughout the year that teach sustainable living.
- Earth Week: Past topics have included advocacy and food.
- Thrift Shop Prom: Teaches the concept of reuse through second-hand clothing.
- Trash Art Competition: Promotes the concept of repurposing or upcycling trash into works of art.
The Sustainability Club provides students with opportunities to learn and promote sustainability at PPCC.
- Cleans litter from our adopt-a-creek three times a year
- Manages a small garden at the Centennial Campus
- Assists with Office of Sustainability events and activities
Co-curricular activities are an extension of the formal learning experiences in a course or academic program.
We supports the following co-curricular activities:
- Class projects
- Field trips
- Service projects
- Documentary screenings
- Guest speaker presentations
PPCC Sustainability recognizes that community outreach is crucial to achieving a sustainable campus and culture.
We are engaged in the following community events and organizations:
Colorado Springs' Adopt-a-Waterway Program
- PPCC Sustainability has adopted a portion of Monument Creek alongside Goose Gossage Sports Complex. We have committed to cleanup litter on our portion of the creek at least three time a year.
Fountain Creek Watershed Flood Control and Greenway District's Creek Week Cleanup Steering Committee
- PPCC Sustainability Coordinator and Media Design Specialist coordinate the marketing efforts for this annual watershed-wide litter cleanup week. The steering committee meets monthly.
Green Cities Coalition Steering Committee
- PPCC Sustainability Coordinator serves as the chairman for this organization that meets monthly.
Colorado College's Campus Sustainability Council
- PPCC Sustainability Coordinator serves as an ex-officio community member of this council that meets monthly.
Sustainable Fort Carson and Peak Alliance for Sustainable Future's Sustainability In Progress
- PPCC Sustainability Coordinator regularly attends this monthly event to stay updated on relevant issues in the community.
Explore our website for sustainable operations that have been made on campus. For any questions regarding any sustainable operations done on campus please email the sustainability coordinator.
Office of Sustainability Projects
- L.E.D. Lighting Pilot Project (grant funded)
- Solar Crosswalk Signs
- Solar Picnic Tables (Student Government funded)
- Solar Emergency Call Boxes
- Recycling Program (grant funded Rampart Range Campus Recycling Stations- in progress)
- Hydration Stations (partially Student Government funded)
- Transportation (student bus pass program and bicycle friendly certification-in progress)
- Centennial Campus Garden (partnering with Culinary Arts Program and Sustainability Club)
Coordinator: Konrad Schlarbaum
Location: Centennial Campus Student Life
Phone: (719) 502-2342