College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP provides a chance for students to earn college credit by examination. All 33 CLEP exams are computer-based and composed of multiple-choice questions. The total time allowed on most of the exams is 90 minutes. There are no scheduled breaks. Exams requiring calculator use have a calculator in the computer program itself.
After you take the exam, your score is provided to you right away. The only exception is the College Composition exam, for which results are sent at a later date.
- CLEP exam fee is $89.
- There is a proctor fee of $25 payable to Pikes Peak Community College for all testers except those who are DANTES funding eligible
- Check our testing matrix to find out what college credits you could earn at PPCC.
CLEP and the Military
CLEP exams and the proctor fee are waived for eligible military services members, spouses, and civil services employees. For more information about who is DANTES-eligible visit https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/military-benefits.
Note: DANTES does not pay the exam fee or proctor fee for a previously funded CLEP exam. Military who want to retake an exam previously funded by DANTES must wait 90 days and pay $89 CLEP exam fee as well as the $25 proctor fee.
CLEP and Veterans
Starting August 1, 2018 and under the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act (Forever GI Bill) Veterans can have their CLEP exam fee covered by submitting an Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee. For more information visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIBSummaries.asp#302
Once you have tested, submit an application for reimbursement to regional VA office. Form: https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-0810-ARE.pdf
Why take CLEP exams?
- Get college credit for what you already know. Be rewarded for what you’ve learned through independent study, advanced high school courses, noncredit adult courses, or professional development.
- Save money. Compared to the cost of a CLEP exam, you can save hundreds, even thousands, of dollars in tuition.
- Make college more interesting. Move right into advanced courses.
- Graduate on time. CLEP can help you to the finish line if you’re a few credits shy of graduating.
- Satisfy a proficiency requirement. Demonstrate you’ve already mastered the content of, for example, a basic college level math or language course.
- Choose the right CLEP test for you. Speak with your advisor if you have questions.
- Register and pay for your CLEP exam at clep.collegeboard.org/register. The cost of each CLEP exam is $89. Accommodations are available for candidates with proper documentation. If you need more information contact CLEP at 800-257-9558 before you register for an exam.
- Active duty military only: Indicate you are eligible for DANTES funding when asked.
- Print your CLEP Registration Ticket and bring it on your test day. You must have this in order to sit for the exam.
- Schedule your exam online with PPCC
- Arrive at the Test Center 15 minutes before your appointment for check-in.
- Bring a valid government issued ID or DANTES funding eligible military test takers must provide a valid Common Access Card (CAC).
Requesting a CLEP Transcript:
Information to request a transcript can be found on the CLEP website. Additional information is located in the Information for Candidates booklet available at the Testing Center.
For more detailed information about the exams and their content areas, please visit clep.collegeboard.org/. In addition to the CLEP Study Guide, CLEP now offers individual exam study guides that can be downloaded from the internet - Individual Study Guides.
Modern States (link to modernstates.org) is a nonprofit organization which offers free online courses in all 33 CLEP subjects.
- Available to anyone
- Fully on-line
- No cost – including course materials